Harbor Springs Area Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber Office at 368 East Main St ready for a beautiful summer day
The history of a Chamber of Commerce in Harbor Springs has been traced back as far as the 1930's. We're proud to note that a handful of charter members still remain active today in the current organization.
The organization remained consistent for the next thirty years, slowing growing with headquarters based in Harbor Springs and utilizing mostly volunteer efforts for administration and accounting.
During the 1980's the Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce began handling administrative duties for the Harbor Chamber while retaining separate Boards and budgets.
The Chamber Office all decked out in winter splendor.
In the early 1990's the Harbor Chamber hired its first Executive Director to serve its members better. During the next few years, the organization established its first office, in the Phillips Building next to Boyer Glassworks and eventually hired part-time administrative staff to assist. Committees were formed, publications created, advertising agreements confirmed, events begun as traditions and the true Chamber as it is today thrived as a successful community resource. There were 235 members in 1993. In 1999, that number had grown to around 450.
Through the next decade, the one constant at the Chamber office was Marge Owen. As of 2011, Marge has faithfully served the membership and the community as the "Rock of the Chamber" for over 12 years. If you have to opportunity to meet this outstanding lady, please be sure to thank her for all she continues to do for this organization and this area!
In 2008, the Harbor Chamber officially changed its name to the Harbor Springs Area Chamber of Commerce as to better represent area businesses and organizations outside of downtown Harbor Springs.
Today, the Harbor Springs Area Chamber of Commerce stands firm with nearly 400 members and many new members joining from across the Northern Michigan area.