Harbor Springs Area Chamber of Commerce Position Vacancy
The Harbor Springs Area Chamber of Commerce is a membership-driven organization representing member businesses throughout the Harbor Springs area and is currently seeking an outgoing, enthusiastic, energetic Executive Director.
POSITION: Executive Director
STATUS: Full Time Exempt
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Compensation is structured with a combination base salary plus commission.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Must be a college graduate with a bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related field. Minimum of three years of experience in sales and marketing positions with experience in promotions and public speaking. Strong interpersonal skills, and excellent writing skills with attention to detail (grammar and spelling). Proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Executive Director is responsible for the initiation, execution, and documentation of Chamber projects and activities that effectively promote its mission of service to its members, while maintaining and expanding its membership base. Responsibilities include member relations, member retention, growing the member base, advocating for members, developing networking and programming for members, planning and budgeting annual events, coordinating marketing and promotions, and supervising Chamber staff while working as a team.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: The Director is employed by the Board of Directors of the Harbor Springs Area Chamber of Commerce. The Director reports to the Executive Committee of the Board and is an ex-officio member of the Board. This working relationship is reviewed as part of the annual performance review.
Membership Retention and Growth
- Maintain and grow Chamber memberships.
- Schedule appointments and make regular personal visits with member companies.
- Actively seek new business leads and follow up as appropriate.
- Assist Chamber members in taking full advantage of their Chamber membership (networking, volunteering, retention).
- Develop and achieve budgeted revenue goals for membership renewals and prospects.
- Monitor industry trends and local issues impacting Chamber membership sales efforts.
- Develop new programs that will assure the retention of members.
- Coordinate lectures, workshops and seminars for members through the current Chamber alliance
- Conduct an annual survey of members concerns, etc. and report findings to the board.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Actively support and participate in Chamber events and programs (occasional evenings, weekends).
- Plan annual events and develop budget for each event.
- Oversee and manage costs of approved budget for each event.
- Maintain committee lists for annual events, provide support to each event committee chairperson.
- Coordinate sponsorship opportunities for events.
- Develop press releases for Chamber events and activities.
- Coordinate the development of marketing materials for the Chamber.
- Create informative, attractive weekly newsletter for members.
- Develop new advertising program and solicit advertising for the Chamber website.
- Provide reports for monthly Board and Executive Committee meetings.
- Attend monthly Board and Executive Committee meetings, and Business Round Table.
- Serve on the Harbor Springs DDA.
- Maintain an extensive knowledge of all Chamber programs, services, initiatives and activities.
- Maintain accurate membership data and make ongoing updates to Chamber website.
- Supervise and assist full-time administrative staff.
- Assist staff with answering phones and greeting customers at the Chamber, especially during busy tourist seasons.
- Maintain committee lists (Ambassadors, Marketing, Membership).
- Represent the Chamber in a professional manner as the face of the organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Minimum of three years of experience in sales and marketing positions.
- Background in marketing and sales with a member-based organization preferred.
- Experience and success in sales, promotions, and public speaking.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively cultivate relationships with members, volunteers and community partners
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail (grammar and spelling)
- Ability to develop strategic plans and to think creatively and innovatively
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize workload involving multiple projects at one time
- Results-oriented and willingness to be accountable for measurable goals
- Capable of maintaining sensitive, confidential information
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Chamber Master member management software is a plus.
- Proficient in website updating and Constant Contact for newsletters.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Must be a college graduate with a bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business or related field.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit at a desk and computer for long periods of time, is occasionally required to stand, may be requested to lift materials of up to 35 lbs. Specific vision abilities required include reading computer screen and written documents. Communicate via verbal, audible and written means.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Duties will be performed in and from the Chamber’s office in Harbor Springs during regular business hours. Work off-site visiting members and attending meetings will be required. Occasional work on evenings, weekends and/or holidays. Personal time off must be approved by Executive Committee and will be assessed based on tourism demands and season.
TIME COMMITMENT: A minimum average time commitment of 40 hours per week in order to fulfill the duties required of this exempt position.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Competitive salary is commensurate with experience.
- Pay is structured with a combination base salary plus commission.
- Health and dental insurance is available through a proportionate cost to the employee.
- Other benefits include paid holidays, personal time off, and professional development and training.
- The Chamber strives to provide compensation at market rates when compared to like organizations.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: There is a three-month probationary period at which time the Board will evaluate the job performance of the Executive Director.
- Email resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail resume with cover letter to: Personnel Committee, HSACC, 368 E Main Street, Harbor Springs, MI 49740
The information included in this position description does not create contractual employment rights. An employee is considered to be an at-will employee for the purposes of employment. This offer of employment is being made without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, height, weight, marital status or disability.